If you’re reading this, you probably hear the term “social media” more often than you’d like and you probably know exactly what it means (or have some idea, anyway). But even for those of us who make it our job to study anything and everything there is to know about existing social media platforms, we may not have as many cold, hard facts at our disposal as we would like.
It was for this very reason that we made it our mission to collect the top statistics on the most widely used social networks and put them in one place to make it easier for us, and others out there in search of the same thing, to find. Over the next eight weeks we’ll be blogging the must-know stats and facts for a different platform every other week. It’s no surprise that first up on our list of platforms is Facebook. Despite already knowing that Facebook has grown to extreme heights and permeates most online experiences in some way, the facts we encountered didn’t fail to surprise us.
The numbers below paint a clear picture of the enormous reach of Facebook and the potential that this online community has to add value to a business when used as a strategic tool. We’ve also created a graphic showing a top-to-bottom depiction of the facts of Facebook life. Our friends at the White House may have declared that the food pyramid has gone out of style, but who can resist a good infographic when the opportunity presents itself?
Without further adieu, the facts of Facebook …
Who is on Facebook?
- 93% of U.S. adult Internet users are activewithin the platform (1)
- 62% of users are female, while only 38% are male (2)
- 5% of unborn babies have a profile (3)
What is Facebook?
- A social network connecting more than 750 million active users (as of July 2011) (4)
- The 2nd most trafficked website, second only to Google (5)
Where is Facebook?
- 70% of users are from outside the United States (6)
- The no. 1 city for use is Istanbul, Turkey (1)
When is Facebook used?
- Over 700 billion minutes are spent on the site each month (4)
- Users return over 40 times each month (7)
- Not always at work – 50% of employers block any use of the site during work hours (8)
Why/How is Facebook used?
- In one year, in a given 20 minutes, users shared … 2.7 million photos, 1 million links and 7.6 million pages (9)
- Average user creates 90 pieces of content each month and is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events (4)
- 20 million apps are installed every day (4)
So, there you have it – Facebook by the numbers. Armed with the who, what, where, when and why/how of Facebook, we can come just one step closer to better understanding the opportunities presented by the vast online space and the platforms available. We can use this data to educate our colleagues and clients who may be less informed or even skeptical of social media practices.
Think there is some worthwhile data that we missed out on? Please don’t hesitate to let us know below! Stay tuned for part two of the series where we’ll provide the most telling stats on Twitter.
(1) Ignite Social Media
(8) Fast Company