When I watch Mad Men it makes me glad we don’t use typewriters at Parthenon. Partially because my “digital media” job wouldn’t exist in typewriter land, but also because they look like a huge hassle. I’m thankful for spell-check, the delete button and a nearly paperless office culture. And new office technology is continuing to make our work easier all the time.
Here are three ways technology has impacted our work styles in just the last few years:
Computers Have Multiple Faces
Parthenon is definitely an Apple-centric office, however, the vast majority of our clients – and Internet users in general – are browsing the web on PC’s. Virtual machine tools like VirtualBox let you run other operating systems on your computer of choice and thus bridge the gap in an extremely simple way. At Parthenon, we use it to test websites and email newsletters to make sure they render correctly across common web browsers and email clients.
Storage is Cheaper in the Cloud
When Parthenon moved offices, we all did a lot of downsizing on our paper trail. While we still use paper for some things, our computers, server system and “clouds” house most of our work. Most office storage is now in cyberspace and virtual filing cabinets. As technology advances, there are more secure servers to ensure work will never be compromised or lost.
Printers are Untethered
Wireless printers have become the norm in most offices. The technology is now quite advanced, allowing users to print directly from smartphones and tablets. The convenience of quickly printing your latest Instagram is an obvious draw, but in the office environment, printing off a document, PDF or webpage on-the-go is extremely useful. Printing can now happen with the click of button, no matter what device you’re using.
The evolution of office supplies and move to the digital world is interesting. Our offices look different and require a new kind of work style and different skill set from decades past. It’s constantly changing and improving, and part of my job is staying abreast of the trends so our clients are at the forefront, which also makes my life a lot easier.
All I know now is that I’m glad I’m not typing this blog on a typewriter, and in 40 years there may be a whole new way to type …
Office Tools to Leverage Technology
- VirtualBox: Virtual is a virtualization software that runs on Windows, Linux, Macintosh and Solaris hosts and supports a large number of guest operating systems.
- Parallels: Parallels offers many types of virtualization and automation software.
- Google Cloud Storage: Google Cloud Storage offers unlimited space to store, access and manage your data.
- Dropbox: Dropbox saves your photos, docs, and videos on all your computers, phones and the dropbox website so you can share them easily, anywhere.
- AirPrint: AirPrint lets you wirelessly print photos, email, web pages and documents from your iPhone to any AirPrint-enabled printer.
- PrinterOn: PrinterOn offers mobile printing apps for smartphones and tablets that allow you to search for and print to the PrinterOn directory of printers.